Education is the backbone of society; it helps develop the nation economically, socially, politically and culturally. Educational preparation of nurses at degree level contributes primarily towards the health needs of the community.
Training nurses has been given in different governmental and non governmental institutions for years. However, the lack of basic contents and relevant courses leaves a gap in the healthcare system. We at Addis Ababa Medical University College combine theory with practical which is all student oriented as we make it compulsory for students to partake in Research thesis as well as CBTP ( Community based training program).
The new health policy gives high importance to the provision of essential and appropriate health care to the people of Somaliland; it has been adapted to primary healthcare. We have implemented this strategy to bring all people in the nation closer to the goal of better access to healthcare in addition to achieving healthy general population.
Successful implementation of health services to the grassroots level is highly dependent on availability and deployment of adequately trained health professionals, but this cannot be accomplished by government institutions, private institutions, NGOs or even hospitals; it can only be accomplished by all those combining and work as a single unit to help the healthcare system in Somaliland as a whole.
The main purpose of the undergraduate degree in nursing is to provide an educational program through which the graduates will be prepared to assume responsibility in the primary, secondary and tertiary care of people as professional nurse. It is expected that graduates are capable of teaching and supervising appropriate nursing and healthcare in different settings and participate in the administration of nursing service and education.
After the completion of the program, the graduates would be able to:
- Provide nursing care for individuals, families and communities following scientific methods of nursing
- Demonstrate competence in the skills and techniques of nursing based on concepts and principles formed by selected areas of physical, biological and behavioral sciences.
- Participate as members of health team in the rehabilitation of the healthcare system of the country.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and decision making abilities in various situations.
- Recognize the need for learning for their personal relation and professional development.
- Demonstrates skill in teaching, managing, inter-personal relations and communications.
- Practice ethical values in their personal and professional life.
- Improve and bring about changes related to nursing standards in different departments